Denton Butterflies in Bloom!
Spring brings our annual collaboration with the Hills Garden Club of Wellesley, when garden club members create floral arrangements inspired by the Wellesley Historical Society’s collection. This year, six specimens from the Denton Butterfly Collection were selected to inspire these elegant arrangements.
The Denton Brothers was a successful local business started by Wellesley residents William D. and R. Winsford Denton in 1895. The brothers, better known as Willie and Winsey, sold their patented butterfly mounts at exhibitions throughout America and also locally from their shop on Denton Road. The Wellesley Historical Society is fortunate to have both the Denton Brothers business papers and a collection of over 2,400 Denton entomology specimens from the turn of the twentieth century.
Each arrangement was created by a group of Hills Garden Club members and revealed at their annual meeting and luncheon on May 13th at the Wellesley Country Club. Floral interpretations were exhibited alongside each Denton butterfly and truly captured the essence of each delicate specimen
Pictured above is a Prioneric Clemanthe specimen from the WHS Denton Brothers Butterfly Collection along with its floral accompaniment. This group arrangement was led by Hills Garden Club President Cynthia Ballantyne and former President Lucy Lynch.